Value Engineering involves the comparison and selection of a design which best adds value to a project by removing unnecessary cost without compromising function, reliability or quality.
Value Engineering does not replace traditional Q.S. cost control. It is a distinct and specific exercise using techniques and skills which MacMinn O’Reilly Mahon have developed during almost 30 years operating within the construction industry.
Target points for Value Engineering include:
- Pre brief (user requirements)
- Concept (client brief, 10 – 25% design)
- Schematic (sketch design, 35% design)
- Tender drawings (90% design)
- Post contract or construction stage
The earlier a Value Engineering exercise is carried out, the more effective it can be. The cost saving potential reduces the later it is introduced.